Pages

14 June 2012

ICONS



A Triptych done for photography with the theme of 'Icon' and what it means to us. I chose to focus on the Iconic golden halo used to depict saints as religious icons. The saints who gain this honour deserve it and earned the right to wear the halo. My thought was to comment on the way in which they came to gain this honour.

Most of, if not all of the saints were granted sainthood after their death for their acts which were ironically in contradiction to the ideas and thoughts of those who sainted them. Frequently these are martyred people who have been adopted by the very people who killed them. I always found it so sad how these great people lived their life faced with opposition and were only really treasured after their deaths. I also despise the way in which those that murdered them then turned after their deaths and used their martyrdom for their own good, to say that, 'we believed in what they stood for all along'!

My thought was to get across the pain and suffering which went into their 'sainthood' but, I think as a result of my failed acting skills the facial expressions may not be quite spot on. I will continue to work on this and hope to develop this idea in the future, hopefully with greater success.

©Holly Cashman.
Any images on my blog are not to be reposted without linking back to here or without reference to me as the artist and not to be altered in any way without my written consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment